News and Announcements
UPDATE ON THE ACADEMIC GUIDELINES FOR THE REMAINING PERIOD OF SCHOOL YEAR 2019-2020
Greetings of Love and Hope!
Anent the issuance of Advisory No. 3 on 13 April 2020, the Guidelines for the remaining period of School Year 2019-2020 are provided herein based from the Management Council Meeting, CHEd/DepEd Advisories, Family Councils and student proposals.
- Grade School, Junior High School and Senior High School
- The Academic Calendar of Basic Education Schools (BEdS) will end as scheduled. Furthermore, on-site classes will no longer be conducted for the remainder of the school year.
- Teachers are advised to continue uploading learning materials, study guides, and learningassessment tools.
- In lieu of the final examinations, each teacher shall prepare a reasonable and doable requirement for each learning area/subject that will assess the attainment of core subject learning objectives. Requiring short and unreasonable deadlines is strongly discouraged. Due to the extraordinary circumstances of this pandemic, the teachers need to recognize the challenges that our pupils and students are facing outside their academic requirements; thus, everyone is encouraged to take into account such factors in reasonably adjusting their subject requirements to ensure that the minimum or basic subject learning outcomes are achieved. The grade of the pupil or student on this requirement shall be considered in the computation of the Third Quarter Grade.
- The final grade of Grade School pupils and Junior High School students will be computed accordingly with the modified formula:
Final Grade = (First Quarter Grade + Second Quarter Grade + Third Quarter Grade)/3
1.5 In the case of Senior High School students, their third
quarter grade will be treated as their final grade.
1.6 On-line final examination will be administered to Grade 12–
ICT Strand students with the schedule to be set by the BEdS Principal.
- College – Undergraduate Level
- The Academic Year 2019 – 2020 will end as calendared. Furthermore, on-site classes are suspended until May 30, 2020.
- Instructors are advised to continue uploading learning materials, study guides, and learningassessment tools.
- In lieu of the final examinations, each instructor shall prepare a reasonable and doable requirement for each course that will assess the attainment of core course learning objectives. Requiring short and unreasonable deadlines is strongly discouraged. Due to the extraordinary circumstances of this pandemic, the faculty members need to recognize the challenges that our students are facing outside their academic requirements; thus, everyone is encouraged to take into account such factors in reasonably adjusting their course requirements to ensure that the minimum or basic course learning outcomes are achieved.
- The final grade of students will be computed based on this modified formula.
Final Grade = (Prelim Grade + Class Standing for finals +
Final Test / Substitute Requirement)/3
- During this extended enhanced community quarantine period, a Qualified Incomplete (INC) mark is given to students who willnot be able to complete and/or submit the course requirements on time as set by respective instructor. A Qualified INC mark will not disqualify a student to the Dean’s List provided he/she removes the mark before the deadline to be set by the College Academic Council. The existing policy on removal of INC mark applies for this term.
- Online submission of grade sheets (horizontal form) to Program/Department Head and/or Academic Dean by the instructors will be on June 1 – 5, 2020.
- Students who are enrolled in NSTP course will be assessed/evaluated based on their attendance and performance during the training days prior to ECQ.
- For On-the-Job Training courses, the remaining number of required hours not served will be waived for this term. However, OJT advisers are required to provide alternative modalities to ensure the attainment of core course learning objectives.
- For research courses, submission of research outputs should be in accordance with what can be reasonably accomplished during the remainder of the term given the conditions under the extended ECQ.
- Retention requirements for specific programs will be waived only for this term.
- For graduating students, the same directives will be observed. The policy on zero deficiency for graduation still applies and INC (including Qualified INC) mark is treated as deficiency.
- College of Law
- The Academic Year 2019-2020 will end as calendared. Furthermore, on-site classes will no longer be conducted for the remainder of the school year.
- Sufficient materials are available online and offline. Every student should find time to devote to advancing their knowledge of the law during lockdown.
- Passing of subjects should be based on completion of the requirements of the course.
- Since the quality of legal education need not be compromised, instructors are advised to continue uploading reading materials, cases, and discussion problems as learningassessment tools.
- In lieu of the final examinations, the instructor shall prepare a reasonable and doable requirement for each course that will determine the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary and required of a lawyer.
- The final grade of students will be computed based on this modified formula:
Final Grade = (40%ACS + 30%Midterm Exam + 30%Final
- Since the College of Law does not offer courses for short term, except in the fourth year, instructors may conduct remedial class in their respective subjects in the month(s) of June and/or July.
- The Academic Year 2019-2020 will end as calendared. Furthermore, there are no more regular classes to be conducted.
4.2 Distance On-line Classes will continue.
4.3 Short term will commence as calendared.
- General Concerns
- The offering of mandatory courses for short term as per curriculum design of the undergraduate academic programs will continue. However, the number of students per class will be limited in compliance with the directive of the government on physical/social distancing.
- Since all SLC employees, including teachers in all levels of learning, are receiving their monthly salary and benefits even during the ECQ, regrettably the Administration is not inclined to grant the request for tuition fee refund.
- However, SLC is willing to share and credit to the account of the student savings from selected miscellaneous and other fees to be identified by the College Treasurer.
- Also, in consideration of the difficult plight being experienced by some of our students, SLC Administration decided to relax its collection policy. Hence, remaining unpaid fees including tuition and other fees for the current semester or school year are to be paid in full within a grace period of three months – May, June and July of this year The schedule of payments will be posted soon.
- In the BEdS, there will be no Closing and Recognition Ceremonies but in the College Department, Commencement Exercises is tentatively scheduled in December 2020 or January 2021.
- Extra-curricular activities, GawadSan Luis for Students in both College and BEdS, CSC Elections, are temporarily suspended.
- For Non-Teaching Personnel and Academic Support Staff, work resumes once the extended ECQ is lifted.
For other concerns and inquiries arising from this advisory, feel free to reach the College through the Department Heads, Program Heads and Heads of Offices or through the following.
Dr. MarilouAlmojuela 0919-993-3745
Academic Dean, CASTE-IT email@example.com
Dr. Wilfred F. Cabauatan 0927-669-0590
Academic Dean, Graduate School firstname.lastname@example.org
Engr. Melvin Esguerra 0908-371-4175
Academic Dean, CEA email@example.com
Atty. Edwin C. Siapco 0917-794-5499
Academic Dean, CLCJE firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Helen R. Tugade 0917-500-3940
Academic Dean, CCSA email@example.com
Mr. Danilo Romero 0917-115-7711
Principal, BEdS firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, Students are reminded to stay updated and informed of the developments in their respective courses, and to keep safe by strictly observing quarantine protocols and guidelines.
We continue to pray to the Lord for healing and protection, and ask for the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
(Sgd.) REV. FR. RAMON R. CALUZA, CICM
20 April 2020, 10:00 A.M.